Your guide to the party of the season that promises something for everyone.
Close your eyes for a moment and forget that you’re in a casino located next to an outlet mall just off the raging freeway. Put the glass of wine to your lips and experience a toasty, caramel swallow of well-aged Abacus as it drenches your palate like a lover’s tongue. Even if you are a white wine hater, sidle up to a glass of Domain Leflaive Batard Montrachet White Burgundy. It’s the best white I’ve ever tasted. If that’s not enough to get your pistons firing, lose yourself in a glass of luxury; Leonetti 2006 Reserve can be your dance partner of the evening or your soulmate for life.
The Taste of Tulalip kicks off with a tasting reception at 6 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 10 and concludes with the Rock-and-Roll Cooking Challenge at 3:30 the following afternoon. There is an element of fame: Carla Hall, from ABC’s “The Chew,” will be there with her dewy shoulders on display, should you care to rub them against your own. Local celebrities Kathy Casey and Leslie Sbrocco will also be on hand for you to gaze at longingly, with Sbrocco emceeing the festivities all weekend while Casey holds court during the lavish Magnum party.
Imagine the three wines I previously listed (each $500+ bottles in their own right), along with more than 100 others from Washington, Napa and Italy that have been expertly selected by Tulalip sommelier Tommy Thompson, one of the single greatest assets of Tulalip Casino. What he lacks in hair on his head he makes up for in charm that could melt the heart of an ice queen — not to mention a deft hand at choosing wine.
I’ve had the pleasure of attending several events with Tommy at the wine helm, and I always come away dazzled. I am no stranger to drinking à la Mad Men, but somehow with Tommy’s wines I’m never fuzzy the next day, despite my indulgence.
There are several events that comprise the Taste of Tulalip. Whether a poolside reception spurs your stilettos or you’d prefer to dance the night away in the club-like Mpulse lounge, they’ve got you covered. Feel free to peruse the Taste website to see which parties you MUST attend. My personal recommendation is to purchase the All Access Saturday Pass ($225). This pass gains you admission to the following events:
- 12 p.m. — VIP Seminar, featuring Carla Hall. Ms. Hall will “wow” you with her talents as she performs a cooking demonstration, table talk and a question and answer session with Executive Chef Perry Mascitti and Sommelier Tommy Thompson.
- 1:30 p.m. — Early entrance into the Grand Taste.
- 3:30 p.m. — Rock-n-Roll Cooking Challenge judged by “Thirsty Girl”, Leslie Sbrocco and Carla Hall
- Private Magnum party in mpulse lounge hosted by “Liquid Kitchen” star, Kathy Casey. You’ll be treated to some of the most elite wines from around the world hand selected by Sommelier Tommy Thompson and sample some of Kathy Casey’s tasty appetizers.
- 65 Washington, 20 California, and 20 Italian Wineries
- Multiple food stations by Tulalip Resort’s award winning chefs
- Taste of Tulalip retail wine shop
There is a lot to love about the Taste of Tulalip. Gents, dust off your dinner jackets. Ladies, buy that new dress you’ve had your eye on and take it for a twirl. Tickets are available online.
Taste of Tulalip 2011 | Friday and Saturday, Nov. 10 — 11 | 10200 Quil Ceda Blvd., Tulalip